Anxiety treatment plans need to be customized to each client according to their disorder. At Solara’s anxiety treatment facility in San Diego, we help each client work through his/her specific anxieties and create a plan to manage those anxieties in their day-to-day lives.
Our expert clinicians begin by compassionately working with clients to better understand the cause of their anxiety and how it manifests itself. Then, clinicians and clients collaborate to create methods for clients to respond to their anxieties and triggers.
Individual psychotherapy is Solara Mental Health Treatment Center’s first line of defense when it comes to anxiety treatment. Our clinicians use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), which is regarded as one of the most successful treatments for anxiety disorders.
CBT is useful because it focuses on thought patterns. Clients learn to interrupt their negative thought patterns and turn that energy into healthy, positive coping methods.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a kind of CBT and pertains to how one talks. It’s another crucial piece of our anxiety therapy in San Diego.
We also pair CBT with psychodynamic therapy. This type of therapy allows clients to examine their lives deeply. This examination helps them determine the roots and triggers of their anxieties, identify management methods, and ultimately find a greater sense of peace in their lives.
Support groups may sound daunting to many clients with anxiety, especially social anxiety. To some, the whole concept of group therapy may even seem counter-productive to the mental health treatment process.
Those participating in our group therapy can be assured of a small, caring, judgment-free space where they can feel comfortable sharing their anxieties with people who understand their daily struggles. This sharing can be especially beneficial, allowing clients to find ways to work through their social anxiety in a supportive environment.
To help clients manage their physical symptoms, our San Diego anxiety treatment center takes a holistic approach to healing. This approach includes physical treatments like acupuncture, massages, and yoga classes as part of its regular treatment regimen.
These physical, rather than emotional therapies, help clients relax and take control of their bodies, helping foster a sense of security and peace.
As needed, Solara’s anxiety treatment in San Diego can provide patients with anti-anxiety medications for both chronic and acute symptoms. Medications will be coupled with other treatments, such as individual psychotherapy and group therapy, to provide a comprehensive care experience.
Some medications that can suppress symptoms of anxiety and support anxiety management include:
- Benzodiazepines: This class of drugs is commonly used to treat anxiety as they have few severe side effects. They can, however, be addictive. So, they must be used properly and monitored by a mental health professional.
- Antidepressants: These drugs indirectly treat anxiety by smoothing out symptoms and relieving distress associated with it.
- Tricyclics: Tricyclics are an older class of drugs not commonly used anymore. They typically have more side effects than the ones listed above, but they may be used if a person has issues with other medications.
- Beta-blockers: These medications are used to treat heart conditions and may be used to treat anxiety related to similar problems.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors: Abbreviated as MAOIs, this class of drugs can be particularly useful for panic disorders and social phobias. However, because of their harmful interactions with certain medications and foods, they are not often used to treat anxiety.
- Buspirone: This anti-anxiety medication targets unbalanced brain chemistry. It may help a person think more clearly and worry less through daily activities. However, like MAOIs, it has adverse reactions with certain foods and other medicines.
Our San Diego anxiety treatment facility doesn’t necessarily use medications as the first line of defense against anxiety unless a patient’s symptoms merit them. We will thoughtfully prescribe the right medication for each client, as well as help each client find the best medication regimen for their own unique needs.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) (TMS) uses state of the art technology to treat anxiety. And, we happen to offer it here at our anxiety treatment center in San Diego.
TMS works by sending magnetic energy pulses through one’s head, stimulating certain parts of the brain for about 30 minutes. It’s a non-invasive procedure that is not to be confused with Electroconvulsive therapy.
When done by a professional, TMS can improve the mood and cognitive function in people with anxiety. When coupled with other forms of therapy, it can be extremely beneficial.